07 April 2009

Fine....

I had an epiphany this evening. One of my children asked how my day at work went. (They've been either courteous or curious since I started a new job.) My answer was "Fine. I did some training, unpacked a little into my new office." The truth is that when they ask me about work, the answer is usually similar. For example, "Fine, spent most the day in meetings."

What I realized was that it should be neither a surprise or disappointment that when I ask the kids how school was the answer is ......... "Fine."

I guess I need to set a better example!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

This made me smile...as a teacher, especially as a teacher of fairly young children, I get parents in my classroom who are so concerned that their talkative children won't tell them about school. "All he says is, 'it was fine'" or 'I don't know, fine I guess.'" I've often thought, well, I know lots of ways to ask good questions, but I guess it just depends on what one expects to hear in return!
Interesting...I am constantly amazed at how much people see what we do, how we act, and what we say!

Karen said...

That was a fine post. :)

Jenni said...

Fine!?! - is that all you can think of to say? is usually my response to my kiddos when that is all they can think of to say. Usually followed up by so you learned nothing new today? What in the world am I sending you to school for then! Which usually brings a smile, laugh and then some tidbit of wisdom!

Amanda said...

I love you daddy. I guess that I should try and answer with more than the simple "fine" as well. :)